Making your bed seems like one of those mundane chores, but it actually offers a wealth of benefits. It gives you a feeling of accomplishment to start your day, it lowers stress and leads to other good habits. On top of it all, a well-made bed looks nice.
If aesthetic is what you're going for, nothing looks better than a bed with crisp, clean hospital corners. Follow these steps to give your bed a neat, professionally made appearance.
Step 1: Get Rid of Any Wrinkles
- The whole point of making hospital corners is so your bed looks tidy and kempt, and wrinkles are the antithesis of this. Throw your bedding in the dryer and follow the instructions on the care tag.
Step 2: Lay the Flat Sheet over the Mattress
- Secure your fitted sheet over your mattress. You'll love SHEEX fitted sheet featuring a band of athletic grade elastic encompassing the entire bottom sheet -- no more corners popping off! Once you've done that, place your flat sheet over the top of the fitted sheet. Let the flat sheet hang evenly over all four sides of the mattress.
Step 3: Tuck the Flat Sheet under the Foot of the Mattress
- Lift the foot of the mattress with one hand. Use the other hand to tuck the flat sheet under the mattress, starting from one corner to the other. Place the mattress back down. With one or both of your hands, smooth out the flat sheet between the mattress and base to ensure the sheet isn't bunched together.
Step 4: Form a 45-Degree Angle with Excess Fabric
- Choose one corner at the foot of the mattress to start folding your first hospital corner. With one hand, pinch the flat sheet at the top corner of the mattress. With the other hand, grasp the excess fabric — hanging on the long side of the mattress — about 12 to 16 inches up from the foot of the bed. Then, lift it up and place it on top of the mattress. This should form a 45-degree triangle.
Step 5: Tuck in Remaining Fabric
- With one hand, hold the part of the flat sheet that forms a 45-degree triangle. Use the other hand to tuck in the rest of the excess fabric hanging over the mattress.
Step 6: Tuck in the 45-Degree Triangle
- Let the 45-degree triangle you formed drape over the side of the mattress. Smooth out any wrinkles and ensure the crease is aligned with the top corner of the mattress. Then, tuck in the triangle tightly under the mattress.
Step 7: Repeat Steps 4 to 6 on the Other Corner
- Once you've completed those steps, smooth out any wrinkles or creases at the top of the sheet. You can also follow all these steps with a comforter, as well.
If you want to make your bed look even more kempt and luxurious, SHEEX® Performance Bedding is the perfect choice for you. Not only does it look great with hospital corners, but it also offers innovative breathability and moisture-wicking technologies to ensure you get a deeper, cooler night's sleep.