December flew by in a flurry of gifts, family, food, and in some places, snow. Now it's time to make a New Year's Resolution for 2020 and completely reinvent yourself!
Okay, that might be too much pressure, but a resolution is an excellent opportunity to improve your health and live a happier, more fulfilled life.
This year, resolve to sleep soundly every night by following the SHEEX 31-day checklist to better sleep hygiene. Make a vow not to be a CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) statistic ‚Äî one in three adults do not get enough sleep. Perfect your sleep habits by logging the recommended seven to nine hours per night. You'll experience plenty of health benefits, including better mental health, stronger cardiovascular health, and an increased lifespan.
Follow our checklist to cement a better sleep pattern by the time January ends.
- Assess your current sleep and determine your sleep goals. Answer these questions: Are you getting enough sleep? Do you have trouble falling asleep? Are you waking up frequently during the night because you're too hot or cold? Do you feel rested when you wake up? Find yourself hitting the wall during the day?
- Buy an inexpensive notebook or journal.This will become your sleep journal; so, list your sleep goals, jot down different nighttime routines, and note how you slept. You'll begin to identify specific habits that lend themselves to a more restful, restorative slumber.
- Stop drinking caffeine in the afternoon.Otherwise, you won't be able to fall asleep.
- Cover your clock, phone, and computer. Take away the distraction of screens lit up during the night.
- Research your sleep chronotype. Find out your optimal sleep conditions and adjust your nightly routine accordingly.
- Evaluate your pillow.If your pillow is old or lumpy, switch to a SHEEX® ORIGINAL PERFORMANCE Sleeper Pillow that regulates heat transfer to keep your head cool throughout the night.
You made it through the first week! Take a day off and reflect on what habits improve your sleep. Try to incorporate these habits into your routine going forward.
- Set an exercise goal.Get the blood pumping with a weekly workout plan. It'll help you fall asleep faster at night. Assess your schedule and try to exercise for at least 30 minutes per day.
- Start allotting eight hours of sleep every night.Turn the lights out eight hours before your alarm is set to wake you up the next day.
- Skip alcohol late in the evening. Alcohol disrupts sleep cycles, making you tired in the morning.
- Try our favorite yoga poses for sleep as part of your nighttime routine. Yoga and stretching help connect your mind and body for a more restful, relaxed state of being.
- Offload a to-do list before bedtime. Psychologically this helps remove your stressors from your mind. Take an eight-hour break and return to them the next day.
- Read a book instead of watching TV. Bright blue light from your television inhibits the production of melatonin, which makes it harder for you to fall asleep.
That's week two! Take 20 minutes to evaluate your sleep journal and decide what habits to keep, and which do not work for you.
- Slip into something comfy after dinner. SHEEX 828 Motion Sleepwear is unbelievably soft and delivers advanced thermoregulation to help you avoid waking up soaked in sweat.
- Make a sleep budget.Take a minute to assess your sleep environment and determine how much you can spend on upgraded sleepwear, bedding, and room changes. Prioritize your needs. If you have the means, switch to a SHEEX PERFORMANCE Cooling Mattress that keeps your core cool with continuous airflow.
- Drink more water in the morningso you can taper off your water consumption in the last three hours before bedtime. This will help you avoid trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Track your water intake to ensure you're hydrating sufficiently.
- Do deep abdominal breathing exercises right before going to bed. Deep breathing reduces anxiety and tension in the body that can prohibit you from falling asleep.
- Write a list of accomplishments.Depending on your personality type, the to-do list may have made you more stressed. Focus on the positive achievements, so that you can sleep in a mindset of positivity and perspective.
- Switch your sheets.The ultra-comfortable performance fabrics of SHEEX ORIGINAL PERFORMANCE Sheets feature innovative breathability and moisture-wicking technology for maximum sleeping comfort.
Week three complete! Has your quality of sleep improved? Spend 20 minutes with your sleep journal to determine which habits to keep moving forward.
- Take a warm bath an hour before bed. Lower body temperatures are shown to facilitate deeper sleep.
- Download a sleep app to track your sleep habits.Apps like Sleep Cycle or Sleep Better will provide more information about your body and brain activity during the night.
- Switch up your exercise schedule. One study showed that doing cardio in the morning is conducive to sleep, while another study demonstrated that lifting weights in the early evening helps you sleep better.
- Try some night time herbal tea before you go to bed.The right type of tea can condition you to fall asleep faster.
- Use bedding designed for both warm and cold climates.The SHEEX Studio-Tech Sleep System features dual-sided sheets to accommodate fluctuating temperatures.
Track your daily exercise on a Fitbit.Hold yourself accountable by tracking your steps and progress. Set your alarm, so you remember to squeeze in a workout at home at least 90 minutes before bed if you do not make it to the gym.
Wow, you have made it through four weeks! Review your sleep journal for 20 minutes and make the appropriate changes. Finish strong with our final three tips to get a great night's sleep.
- Meditate for 15 minutes. A clinical trial at a medical research center indicated that meditating before bed is one of the most effective ways to clear your mind.
- Feel hot or restless at night? Intentionally avoid spicy and sugary foods during and after dinner. See if this settles your system for more consistent sleep.
- Catch up with an old friend.A study demonstrated that talking to someone you care about greatly puts you at ease. Relax your emotions by calling a dear friend or family member you miss in the evening to reconnect. Even better, sit down and take a minute to craft a handwritten note and send it via mail. You can also tell them about your progress over these 31 days!
With this convenient 31-day checklist, you can transform your sleep quality with SHEEX and make the most of your 2020 New Year's resolution to get a good night's sleep all year long.