Slowing DownThis may be the most obvious way of breathing to fall asleep, but wait just a minute before you discredit it! Slow, deep breathing has actually been shown to decrease both heart rate and blood pressure. The key here is to engage your diaphragm, abdominals and lungs. By breathing slowly and deeply, you will be able to feel your lungs expand fully.
4-7-8The most common method of breathing to fall asleep is known as 4-7-8 and was made popular by Dr. Andrew Weil, a Harvard-trained medical doctor who focuses on holistic health practices. The process is as follows:
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.